Saturday, February 25, 2017

Week 8: Women's Lives and Relationships Annotation

Something Borrowed
By Emily Giffin 

Publication Date: April 1, 2005

Number of Pages: 352 pages

Geographical Setting: New York City, NY

Time Period: Current

Series: It is not a series, however, it does have a prequel titled The Diary of Darcy J. Rhone and a sequel titled Something Blue

Plot Summary: Rachel and Darcy have been best friends for as long as they can remember. They do everything together, but Darcy is always a little bit ahead. She makes more money, has a better job, is a little bit younger, and now she is getting married first. Her fiance, Dexter, is gorgeous and successful and one drunken night, he and Rachel end up in bed together. Despite knowing that this is the biggest betrayal between two friends, Rachel continues to see Dexter in secret. The reader follows Rachel's conflicting emotions as she must decide who she is and what her heart really wants. Set against the backdrop of New York City and a summer house in the Hamptons, this is a fairly light but forgettable beach read.

Subject Headings:       Triangles (Interpersonal relations) -- Fiction.        
                                    Risk-taking (Psychology) -- Fiction.        
                                    Female friendship -- Fiction.        
                                    Single women -- Fiction.
 
3 appeal terms that best describe this book: Fast-paced, Character-driven, Upbeat

Similar Authors and Works:
3 Relevant Fiction Works and Authors
  • You Could Do Better- Stephanie Lehmann
    Slightly similar to Something Borrowed, this book is about a bride-to-be finds her life turned upside down when she begins to have an affair before her wedding day. 
  • The Last Year of Being Single - Sarah Tucker
    A light-hearted chick lit novel, this is about a confused woman who is torn between the two men in her life.
  • The Romantics- Galt Niederhoffer
    The main characters finds herself in a similar situation to Rachel, she is the bridesmaid in a wedding where she was once, and possible still, in love with the groom.

3 Relevant Non-Fiction Works and Authors
  • Talking As Fast As I Can- Lauren Graham
    Gilmore Girls star discusses her life on screen and off in this fast-paced memoir. 
  • The Girl With the Lower Back Tattoo- Amy Schumer
    Comedienne Amy Schumer discusses her often sexually explicit love life in this fast-paced, humourous, and heartfelt memoir.
  • Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me (And Other Concerns)- Mindy Kaling
    Mindy Kaling is like a real life Rachel- she is down to earth, the girl next door, and adorably confused. In this book, she shares her observations on life, love, and friendships. 

9 comments:

  1. I liked that you included relevant nonfiction titles because it helps to expand thinking when it comes to other titles that a patron would like. I think that including genres that may not be in our specific interest is helpful because we will be better in tune with what the patron's reading interests are. I also liked the way you formatted the annotation with including a picture of the book. It provides a really nice visual that would make me want to read the novel as I have a tendency of being drawn in a book's cover before I read the the plot description.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa I like that you stated "this is a fairly light but forgettable beach read." Judging by the Plot Summary it sounds like a complicated love triangle to me. I would be really upset, angry, and torn apart if my best friend slept with my fiance.

    Your added comment at the end of the Plot Summary changes what seems like a deep drama into something different. Your insights into the story can help someone to decide to read this book or pass on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert,
      You would think from the plot outline that it would be a deep drama, but all of the characters are so conceited and self-involved that they never quite seem to attach what they are doing to human emotions. Needless to say, I wasn't a fan.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic annotation, full points!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa, Your summary really describes the story and I like you you use the terminology "a forgettable beach read". It sounds like a book that would make a good soap opera story line. I have to agree with Robert, your summary would give someone the option to pass on the book. In my opinion, the characters do not seem to be fully developed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melissa,

    Nice annotation! I can remember my wife’s reading this book a few years ago, as well as watching the movie with her a couple of years ago as well. I remember my wife mentioning she enjoyed Something Blue quite a bit more than this title. I do remember being struck by the film’s/story’s going against some of the more typical conventions, as opposed to many other romantic comedies of the day. Have you seen it? According to your summary I would say the film stays fairly faithful to the book. Your three relevant non-fiction titles are quite popular and I’m wondering if they are even more popular and enjoyable than this fiction title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have actually seen the movie several times. It is one of my favorite romantic comedies. It is one of the very few times I can say that I have liked a movie better than its book. They made the characters much more likable.

      Delete
  6. Good job! I love a good chick-lit once in a while! I will put this on my Good Reads list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for including the nonfic titles as well - that really helps expand the possibilities. I have sometimes said that what I'm in the mood for is something light and distracting - your description of a forgettable beach read is perfect for that mood. Makes it easy to tell what kind of patron to recommend this for. Can you tell us what made you choose this? It looks fun...

    ReplyDelete